The temps just seemed to plummet this year, yeah? Seriously- it felt like we went from 85 degrees to snow in o.2 seconds. In any case, the cooler weather always has me craving soup over salad. Chicken pot pie is also a favorite in this household, so why not marry the two? This recipe is adapted from Kitchen Dreaming and was super easy to adjust to our personal tastes.
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken (I used the prepackaged kind by Archer Farms)
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cup water (or enough to bring to desired consistency)
- 1 small can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen green peas, cooked
- 1 cup chopped carrots, cooked
- 1 cup chopped potatoes, cooked
- Pinch (about 1/4 tsp) fresh grated nutmeg, optional
- In a large soup pot, melt butter and slowly add flour, stirring until consistency of peanut butter, but do not brown like a roux -- you want it to remain a golden color. Slowly add cream and keep stirring. Add chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup and garlic, and stir until thickened.
- Add chicken, peas, carrots, potatoes, nutmeg (optional)
- Remove from heat. Thin with water to your desired consistency
- Serve with biscuits.
What does this weather have you craving? If you try the soup, please let me know what you thought!